To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular physician or nursing assistant, or search for a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right in my situation?
To learn if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative people that are prepared to simply simply take an everyday pill.
You should look at taking PrEP in the event that you:
- Never always utilize condoms during intercourse
- Recently possessed a intimately transmitted disease (sti)
- Have significantly more than one partner that is sexual
- Have a partner who may have intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner who has got HIV and a detectable or unknown viral load
- Are making an effort to conceive having a partner who has got HIV
- Have partner whom does not want to obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for the money, medications or even spot to remain
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
The medicines in PrEP stop the virus from spreading throughout your body, preventing an HIV infection if you are exposed to HIV. PrEP just works for those who have enough medicine within you, which means you want to just take PrEP every single day.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently authorized as PrEP — is a mixture of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are equivalent medicines that are safe lots of people with HIV use to continue to be healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Exactly what are the relative unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with people who have HIV since 2004.
Many people on PrEP try not to report any negative effects. For people who do, the absolute most side that is common are sickness, upset belly, tiredness and headaches. These signs frequently have better or go away in the very first thirty days of using PrEP. Rare unwanted effects consist of renal or bone tissue dilemmas. Your physician or nursing assistant will allow you to handle any side-effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through sex by over 90% for those who use the tablet at the very least four times per week. Your HIV danger is significantly lower invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, this has helped reduce new HIV infections across nyc.
I still have to use condoms if I take PrEP, do?
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv prevention choice for those who don’t use condoms every time they have sexual intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How can I simply simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you take a capsule as soon as a time, also on times you do not have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is recommended by a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you to definitely ensure that you lack HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- When you are on PrEP: the doctor or nurse will test you every 3 months for HIV and also at minimum every half a year for any other STIs.
For more information on what to expect whenever taking PrEP, see an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it just simply just take for PrEP to operate?
Studies declare that you will need to just just just take PrEP that is daily for least:
- A week before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you will be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It isn’t yet understood just how many times you will need to simply just take PrEP before it could offer maximum security while you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or genital sex.
How to purchase PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is included in Medicaid and a lot of medical health insurance plans.
If you fail to have insurance or have actually a high co-pay, you may well be entitled to an individual support system that will help purchase PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. You are able to register right into a low-cost insurance coverage by calling 311.
Find out more about your re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
May I get PrEP if i will be an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status will not influence your capability to obtain PrEP. You can easily properly talk to staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may impact your choices for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention practices.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the center is likely to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can assist you with this particular procedure.
Just just How else am I able to remain HIV-negative?
- Realize about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. You could phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be obtained 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as much as you can. Discover the type and size of condom you prefer. Condoms are for sale to free in every five boroughs. To locate our where you are able to get a free condom, call 311 or look at the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, particularly during anal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the way that is only understand in the event that you or perhaps a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about assessment. Pose http://hotrussianwomen.net/mail-order-brides a question to your intercourse partners in regards to the time that is last had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your partners coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to have HIV care and just just take their medicines every time, so that they continue to be healthy and don’t pass HIV to other people.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be much easier to get or spread HIV.
- Avoid drugs and alcohol when you yourself have intercourse. Getting or drinking high when you’ve got intercourse makes it difficult to keep in mind to make use of condoms. For make it possible to end using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you are able to get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for ladies
PrEP is an effective hiv avoidance selection for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have actually genital intercourse should be especially careful to just just take PrEP every single day to keep sufficient medication in their genital muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Ladies who have sexual intercourse with females and whom can be confronted with HIV through sex or injecting medications can benefit from PrEP also.
Will PrEP restrict my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not hinder hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you nevertheless want to utilize birth prevention or condoms to stop pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormones treatment?
No. There’s absolutely no evidence that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known degrees of hormones within your body. Studies have unearthed that transgender ladies who just just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Am I able to simply just just take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect women that are attempting to conceive a kid with A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the child and mother both during and after maternity, and has now maybe perhaps not demonstrated an ability to influence fertility.
If you want to simply just take PrEP while attempting to conceive, consult with your medical professional. You might want to consult a professional to get more guidance about using PrEP because of this.